New Linux Machines

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sun Oct 7 15:45:14 CDT 2001

I started with Red Hat and then tried Mandrake, but they really cheesed
me off with their Microsoft-type PR lies.  The package I spent good
money for said that it was 486 compatible but the install locked up
every time.

The install docs said that I could download a binary install image, but
after re-installing the old software and getting online, I discovered
that the web page listed could not be found.  When I called tech
support, they told me that they had decided NOT to compile a 486
compatible install and that I would have to upgrade my PC.  They even
refused to give me a refund because I had opened the shrink wrap before
determining if the software would fit my needs.  I am STILL trying to
figure out how I could do this since they LIED on the box and the in the
install documentation.

Since the idea of upgrading the hardware just to meet the needs of
poorly compiled software sounded like the the whole 'doze/intel cartel
all over AND it ran counter the whole idea of putting Linux on an older
pc for learning about Linux, I threw the software away and have refused
to ever have anything to do with Mandrake ever again.   (And, of course,
I could not afford a new $1200 PC at the time!)

They seem to be almost as bad as microsoft with version-inflation.
That's where they bump the high order version number every time they
release a bug fix.  It just smacks of the microsoft less is more
philosophy.  (Less real improvement in each release equals more profit
on the balance sheet!)

I know this sounds harsh, but I went back to Red Hat and STILL use that
same machine for a file server and test platform for software upgrades.
It still runs the latest release of Red Hat and it is totally Miscrosoft
and Mandrake free!  I have never had a support problem that I couldn't
resolve through the Red Hat support network or customer support.

--
At 20, I was liberal, because I had nothing to lose and so much to gain.
by 40, I was conservative, because I had so much to lose and so little to gain.