wrong major or minor number

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Thu Mar 29 02:55:18 CST 2001

In article <001301c0b740$321e2440$0301a8c0 at inverted> you write:

>I am running Redhat 7.0 on a PIII 500MHz and I am trying to mount my =
>FAT32 drives.  When i try 'mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /40' I am returned =
>with "wrong major or minor number"

The major,minor number refers to the identity of the device, in this case
/dev/hdb1.

ls -l /dev/hdb1 should return something like:

brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,  65 Jun 23  1998 hdb1

3 is the major number for block ide devices, 65 is the minor number for
hdb1.

This is where I'd look first, see if the device was made properly.  I can
hardly believe that it wasn't, but that's what the error seems to
indicate.  If hdb1 doesn't have this major and minor number, man mknod is
your friend.

Regards,

-Don
--