Comcast & VPN - with NAT Router?]]

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Fri Jun 15 19:46:07 CDT 2001

Different VPNs use specific TCP and UDP ports, and protocols.  E.g. PPTP
uses TCP ports 1723 and 47(?), as well as GRE.  IPSec uses TCP port
500(?).  Unless the client and server can agree on different ports,
detecting (and disabling) this traffic is trivial.

This doesn't mean that _all_ VPN traffic can be detected or stopped.
I've read that you can encapsulate a PPP session over a ssh connection
with a bit of work.  Most providers wouldn't look for this sort of thing.