Which (RH or MDK) for bare http server? Neither

Joe Brouhard joe at armadaproject.net
Fri Jun 15 18:15:38 CDT 2001

> I know I'm going to make someone upset but I"ll say it anyway.
>
> Redhat is the Microsoft of the Linux world.  I'd stay as far away from
> them and anyone that makes a RH based distro as possible!

Funny you say this.  There is only one difference here... They don't
monopolize.  Microsoft has the tendency to make their software work for
THEIR OS and THEIR OS only... same falls true with their servers.  I've used
MS Windows 2000 Server with Active Directory, and it absolutely sucks
ROYALLY.  There are so many security features/profiles in that thing it
takes me hours just to browse through them.

RedHat compiles their OS much like Mandrake and Caldera... I haven't tried
their barebone Server system yet, but they've (since 7.1 came out) been
shipping two different sets of CDS: Workstation and Server.  Seems Server
does come with KDE and the like, but doesn't contain too many Apps from what
I've heard.  Workstation comes with just about every application and it's
mother. <G>

> Yes they make a good OS but so does MS.  They just mess up a good thing by
> trying too hard to be the leader.

Well, granted, but you cannot take away what they have done.. they have been
able to market RedHat Linux so well they have the largest number of sales
(don't quote me on that.. I might be wrong).

As of late, I have found myself wanting to test out and become proficient in
one of the three BSD's out there:  FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD (damn that
devil...)

I dunno why, but I'm finding myself believing more and more that BSD is a
much better alternative to Linux in some cases.  Yes, it's harder to
install, takes more skill and PATIENCE to run it, but I'll be playing with
it nevertheless.

As Matt Copple commented, e-Smith is based on RedHat 7.0 kernel.  I have it
here (although i'm not using it now), and have plans to try and implement it
on my home network eventually. Going to use it as a gateway for a 56K Dial
up, since I'll be moving to the country this weekend.

Just my humble opinion, gentlemen :)

Joe Brouhard
CompTIA A+ Certified Professional
joe at armadaproject.net