Linux Project (RE: Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!)

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Mon Jul 30 18:20:21 CDT 2001

At 01:00 PM 7/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Anyone know how many
>applications there are for Linux?

This is a "swag" type question, because a lot of the projects I see on
sourceforge are "one guy and an idea to improve or start over" type things.
  There are lots of projects that are months old just sitting "waiting for
developers".   The one trip-up that I can see on open source, is the
inability of someone to take an exisiting project, make suggestions/etc...
and upgrade vs. recreate the wheel.   Some projects need a kick in the a**,
that's for sure.  PHPADS is a great little project, but PHPNEWADS is way
better and current.   There are tons of "great little ideas" that are
duplicated by people wanting to do it themselves.   Why can't more people
work to improving the existing rather than working out something new ? ? ?
  It's the old analogy that fit my former car club so well -- 10 people
doing 10% of 10 different tasks, vs. 10 people doing 10% of 1 task.   Which
task gets done?   That is the unfortunate state of many projects in Linux.

-- Bradley Miller