Linux Project (RE: Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!)

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Jul 30 18:28:51 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>

> I* don't know about everyone else, but I was very intimidated the first
time
> I installed Linux in expert mode. I mean we are talking Thousands of
> applications, and anyway ever browse freshmeat? GNU/Linux is generating
some
> much new code everyday, it's impossible to keep up! Anyone know how many
> applications there are for Linux (Sourceforge shows ~6900 specifically)?

It's true, but it reminds me of the waning days of the FIDO Shareware
boards.  There were hundreds of  "enhancements" for Windows 95 that did
things that were already done just fine by the GUI.  Either these were
things that users had written without realizing the shortcuts were right
there in front of them or they were pointless waning.

But there were good projects too - QModem, ProComm, GoldEd, PaintShop Pro.

Unfortunately, there are few software review sites you can trust.  Most
happily gush over any package that's sent to them for free - they'll even
throw in some carping about the product that they couldn't get a freebie
of - and few make a realistic "this will make your life easier" assessment.
For that you have to rely on your friends in the KCLUG!