Linux Project (RE: Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jul 30 18:00:54 CDT 2001

> From: Monty Harder [mailto:lists at kc.rr.com]
>

> >Those are just the commands.  Are you intending to cover
> options as well ?
>
>   Good question.  I can see a lot of commands coming up to a
> dialog box that lets you set the options before executing.

Monty,

   I like this idea! Do you see a generic pop-up that allows the user to
type in the option line (this would be for more advanced users), a generic
pop-up that "builds" a list of options from a database, or separate pop-ups
for each command?

> >Are you planning to reduce the number of commands ?  Which ones ?
>
>   No, but the ones that are rarely used would be buried
> deeper in the menus.

Or, how about, turned off until the user turns them on in the menu
configuration tool?

I* don't know about everyone else, but I was very intimidated the first time
I installed Linux in expert mode. I mean we are talking Thousands of
applications, and anyway ever browse freshmeat? GNU/Linux is generating some
much new code everyday, it's impossible to keep up! Anyone know how many
applications there are for Linux (Sourceforge shows ~6900 specifically)?

Brian