Linux Project (was Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Jul 20 17:19:59 CDT 2001

So how about brainstorming, about the best project to undertake.

>From the discussion so far I see several possibilities.

1. A post install utility that "windozizes" the GUI.
  This would: give a M$ like feel to the GUI, make a nice structured menu,
add several cron jobs to do some basic maintenance of the OS, include some
basic GUI help tool, and possibly some icons to Perl/Python GUI scripts to
do some basic functions. (although reading over this, it could be several
projects!)

2. Create a Python/Perl GUI script to find/add new applications (with the
click of a button).
   We could possibly use rpm-get version 1.0 and put a wrapper around it
(http://alien.ath.cx/rpm-get/) as part of the tool. Part of this tool should
also check if certain cron jobs are scheduled, and if not try to add them
(with the users permission of course). I'm thinking of cron jobs that would
keep the databases for info, which, apropos and whereis up to date.

3. A really useful help utility, with possibly a tutor function.

So what do you all suggest?

Brian