Linux Project

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Fri Jul 20 14:53:49 CDT 2001

> From: Chris Midkiff [mailto:chris at datacaptech.com]
>
> Personally, I'm not willing to give up that flexibility for a
> easier-to-learn system.  The way to go is to make an automated install
> procedure that configures the system to be MS'ized without any manual
> configuration.  RH and Mandrake are working on this, I'm sure
> they would
> welcome some help.

Yes! Exactly, what we need is a utility that a user can choose (perhaps at
install, or from the desktop), where they can say "Windozize me" and make
that the default (after all those comfortable with Linux will know how they
want to set things up). I don't want to give up any functionality of Linux.
But I also don't want to confuse newbies with 50 different editors, fifty
different e-mailers, etc. What we need is a "Windoze style setup" option,
and then increasingly flexible setup options. This mentality can be seen in
the Mandrake and RedHat distros. Even more in Corel's second distro (which I
think is defunct now).

I haven't seen the latest Mandrake, but yes that is my point. Mail clients
belong in a ==Single== sub-menu. Not one for KDE, one for the Distro maker,
one for Gnome, and one for default. Many distros do this ... very annoying.

Brian