basic question - internet access using ppp - Red Hat Linux 7. 0

Philip, Anil aphili01 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Jul 4 01:31:50 CDT 2001

Hi,
I am unable to connect to the internet using RH 7.0.
I was able to ping the ip address 206.57.114.127 that showed up in the log
session.
But it variously showed a packet loss of 3% to 11%.
However when I used Win98 to connect (which is how I
am sending email), then it
interestingly showed a 0% loss.
When I try to bring up the netscape browser and go to
cnn.com, it says "cannot find server cnn.com"
I have a Hayes Accura External V90 modem.
thanks again for any help,
Anil.