a question re: security

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Dec 26 16:30:40 CST 2001

Eric,

   My opinion is that you don't need an antivirus package for Linux. I
haven't actually seen any Linux "viruses". I have seen some worms [none
on my box, just CERT advisories], but if you don't use the root account
and you haven't given your account special privileges you have nothing
to worry about. This may change in the future.
Secondly, if you set your security to paranoid, you should be safe from
all but the most toxic of crackers [again provided you don't run as
root]. Having a user account as opposed to using the superuser root
account is your best protection against crackers. You will want to get
on a security list somewhere to keep current with the latest weaknesses
[and fixes] in software.

And yes I did have a Merry Christmas. Now I need to go out and chop some
more wood for New Years.
:)
I hope yours was merry, you didn't mention.

My $1/50,
Brian