a question re: security

Eric Gilliland jegilliland at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:10:10 CST 2001

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all had a merry christmas.

I have a question about security.  As I said in a previous post, I recently
installed a hardware modem, and can now get on the internet via linux.  As
recommended by Mandrake, I installed and ran BastilleChooser.  I set the
security level for "Paraniod", said that the machine is Not a server, and it
was done.  My first question is Is this sufficient to protect me while
browsing?  I do not download many things, and when I do it is generally from
a "respectable" source like ZDNet.  Are there any other security measures I
need to take?

My other question is about viruses.  Is there a good antivirus package for
linux? Do I need an antivirus package? I found one via ZDNet, but it was
kind of expensive ($50).  My interent use is basically email browsing
(generally using Konqueror) and Quake III (as soon as I get a linux
version).  Any thoughts on my need for an antivirus package?

For background, I am running Mandrake 8.1 on a Dell Dimension 8100 Pentuim 4
1.3 with 256 megs of RAM and a 56k modem internet connection.  I dial up
using kppp.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

J. Eric Gilliland
jegilliland at hotmail.com
Meet it is I set it down, that one may smile, and smile, and be a villain.
Hamlet Act 1 Scene 5