regarding security on linux

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Wed Dec 26 19:04:41 CST 2001

>My opinion is that you don't need an antivirus package for Linux. I
>haven't actually seen any Linux "viruses". I have seen some worms [none
>on my box, just CERT advisories], but if you don't use the root account
>and you haven't given your account special privileges you have nothing
>to worry about. This may change in the future.

Mmm. Never a wise approach to think you're immune.

I think the main reason there are more MS viruses is because there
are more users (thus more crackers, although per capitas may be similar),
the line about needing root access is a ruse; both OSes have plenty of
viruses and firewall breaches.

If Linux were as popular as MS, there would be as many viruses,
you can count on it. They would simply be handled more efficiently:
that's the valid argument for Linux (ie not blind trust).

What's the point of making a virus for a system which everyone
loves to patch? Well, whoever said there was a point to viruses? :-)

A simple Google search on the words 'linux virus' brought up
some things which you may want to know about:

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/09/18/insecurities.html

-jared