ease of use debate

Marvin Bellamy Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com
Thu Dec 6 15:44:34 CST 2001

In-line comments...

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>I think it's unlikely that anyone will ever make money, or so much as break
>even, trying to beat Microsoft at it's own game.  Trying to do a "dumbed
>down" prepackaged, preconfigured, smooth, simple, easy desktop "for dummies"
>is their strength.  Why waste effort trying to imitate what they do best?

Because they SUCK!  M$ is a greedy, immoral organization and their
"innovations" are driven by short-term profits, not improving their
product.  Linux doesn't have to turn into M$, just make itself more
easily  configurable/installable.  I would love to be able to
*confidently* approach my boss with Linux as an alternative OS.  OT, I
think I've got them convinced to use Linux/PostgreSQL instead of a much
more expensive Win2000/SQLServer solution for our back-end.  I've seen
some amazing stuff out of the Linux community, I'm still in awe that you
can download a free OS that is equivalent to M$/Mac's.  If those guys
thought it was a priority, I think they'd blow anything else away.

I'm going to tell Bill you said that :)

>Where our strengths lie are in power, intelligence, and flexibility - areas
>where Microsoft consistently looses.
>
>Let's play to our strengths, and not wallow in the mud with Bill.

Then, Linux should surrender the mainstream desktop market to M$ since
they can do it better?  There's a lot of bitching about Win* products,
never have I heard capitulation.  I think I'm whining about this point
because I perceive Linux to be so close to overtaking Windows...