No subject

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sat Aug 25 04:19:47 CDT 2001

8/24/01 7:03:39 AM, "Cox, Michael" <michael.cox at honeywell.com> wrote:

>"EVER?"  So...you're saying that no one has the right to protect themselves
>or their family?  Is that what you're saying?  Because that sure *sounds*
>like what you're trying to say...

  The Line is the distinction between self-defense and retaliation.  If I am attacked, and I
neutralize the immediate threat,
I am not justified in using force to punish the aggressor.  As a civilized human, I have delegated
my natural right to use
force in retaliation to a neutral arbiter.  This is the moral justification for the existence of
government - read the
Declaration of Independence for details.  Crossing that line is vigilantism, or Hatfield/McCoy,
Crip/Blood,
Protestant/Catholic, Jew/Moslem, Serb/Croatian perpetual civil war.