new to Linux

verde at worldinter.net verde at worldinter.net
Sat May 27 02:26:57 CDT 2000

Great stuff... but I get this
I typed ./configure # and the following happened

checking for gcc.... gcc
checking wheather the C compiler (gcc    ) works... yes
checking wheather the C complier (gcc    ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking wheather we are using GNU C... yes
checking wheather gcc accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check
your installation and add the correct paths!

And that is the end of it
The app is cakked kcheckbook-0.1.tar.gz.... I got it from tucows
SuSe 6.3   KDE

Should I try Enlightenment or does that matter???

I really appreciate the help... I feel like I did when I first started
using Windows 3.1 and I'm a Third level support for an NT based Corp.
Ahh, to be new again...

Jason

Jason Fruge wrote:

> Good choice getting off the windows bandwagon! and good
> choice with SuSE!
> SuSE 6.3 was nice, but SuSE 6.4 is better for new guys IMO.
> The installer (YaST2) will configure your sound card and
> ethernet adapters (or modems) and alot of other stuff. It is
> worth the upgrade! just make sure you hit thier web site and
> get the updates right away =o) (netscape mail won't work
> until you update the package)
>
> Installing applications 80% of the time consists of
> downloading the tarball and unpacking it (tar zxvf
> tarball.tgz) then entering the souce code dir and type ./ or
> sh configure (./configure) then 'make' then 'make install
> (as root)' then 'make clean(if you want to keep the source
> code)'
> If that didn't make sense try this one out =o)
>
> tar zxvf sourcecode.tgz
> cd sourcecode
> ./configure # if this part is written well, everything else
> should go perfect.
> make or make linux # this is the compile, you should only
> have to type 'make'
> make install # you have to be root for this
> make clean # if you want to keep the source code this is a
> good practice.
>
> hope this helps!
>
> keep in mind some other programs like staroffice won't have
> these steps, they will have thier own installers which you
> just ./installer.sh or whatever it is named. Usually there
> is a README that explains what you need to do.
>

> --
> Jason
> geocajun at technogeeks.org
>
> Don't Drink and Park, Accidents Cause People.
>
> verde at worldinter.net wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm very new to linux and I have some questions... if that is ok.
> >
> > I come from a Windows world. Infact I'm a Third level tech and a major
> > corp in KC. Blah, blah, blah...
> >
> > I'm trying my hardest to get off of the MS bandwagon and I can't seem to
> > figure out how to do some simple things in Linux. (At least I think they
> > should be simple)
> >
> > First, I running SuSE 6.3 on a Pentium Pro200 with 112mb ram and a 6GB
> > HDD.
> >
> > Now the question(s)  How do I install applications? I want to load a
> > simlpe checkbook program and I can't seem to get it to install.
> >
> > How do I setup my sound?  I've done the video and modem but...now sound.
> >
> > Thanx in advance,
> >
> > Jason

Great stuff...