new to Linux

Mike Coleman mcoleman2 at kc.rr.com
Sat May 27 15:25:04 CDT 2000

verde at worldinter.net writes:
> Great stuff... but I get this
> I typed ./configure # and the following happened
> checking for X... configure: error: Can't find X includes. Please check
> your installation and add the correct paths!
>

> And that is the end of it
> The app is cakked kcheckbook-0.1.tar.gz.... I got it from tucows
> SuSe 6.3   KDE
>
> Should I try Enlightenment or does that matter???

No, it doesn't sound like Enlightenment is making a difference here.  The "X
includes" are files like X.h, which are typically located in the directory
/usr/X11R6/include/X11 (at least under Debian and RedHat), but could be
present elsewhere.  They are probably either elsewhere or missing on your
machine.

To find them, try

        locate X.h

or, if that doesn't tell you, you can do

        find / -name X.h

which will be slower.  If the file is there, you need to tell configure where
to find it.  (Try 'configure --help' to see flags, I think.)  If the file is
missing, you probably need to install a package.  How to do that will depend
on which distribution you're using.

--Mike

> I really appreciate the help... I feel like I did when I first started
> using Windows 3.1 and I'm a Third level support for an NT based Corp.
> Ahh, to be new again...

:-)  Keep going--it's worth it.

--Mike

--
Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.