new to Linux

Christofer C. Bell cbell at jayhawks.net
Sat May 27 01:23:08 CDT 2000

On 26 May 2000, Mike Coleman wrote:

> On Debian (or Debian-based distributions), the equivalent would be
>
>         # apt-get install gnumeric
>
> or the slightly less intelligent
>
>         # dpkg -i gnumeric.deb
>
> One exceedingly cool thing about 'apt' is that it will pull in (via ftp) all
> requisite packages (upgrading existing packages, if necessary) and install the
> lot.
>
> AFAIK, rpm doesn't do this, though I haven't looked closely in a while.  Does
> anyone know of Red Hat equivalent for 'apt'?

No, there isn't at this time.  There's nothig preventing it from being
written, however.  Some cool utilities that taken together let you do
similar things are:

rpmfind(1) - Searches the 'Net for a given RPM
dep(1)     - Tells you what RPMs a given command depends on
rpmtc(1)   - Tells you which RPMs a given RPM depends on

The latter two utilities are part of the InDependence package.  You can
use former command to grab the package for you and then use the rpm(8)
command to install it.  There's nothing preventing someone from taking the
rpmfind and rpmtc commands and wrapping them together for apt-get like
functionality.

--
Chris