A backup program that doesn't suck

Randy Rathbun randy at middlewest.com
Thu Mar 30 15:26:46 CST 2000

I am searching for a tape backup program. I have BRU that came with Caldera
2.3, and taper, and kdat, along with Lone Tar and pro backup (or something
like that) and am getting a bit disgusted. Here are my requirements:

Free (as in beer)
Tape catalogs
Network backups
backup verification.

Well, BRU that I have does verification and is free, but it does not keep a
catalog nor allow me to back up a networked machine since it is the freebie
version. Taper is free but it pretty much stinks and it barfs on me if
things get too big. Kdat does everything but verify, Lone Tar and Pro
Backup are not free, but they do catalogs, network backups, and
verification.

My question: Is there such an animal that does all of the above?