A backup program that doesn't suck

Dustin J. Decker dustind at zandura.net
Thu Mar 30 15:49:23 CST 2000

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Randy Rathbun wrote:

> I am searching for a tape backup program. I have BRU that came with Caldera
> 2.3, and taper, and kdat, along with Lone Tar and pro backup (or something
> like that) and am getting a bit disgusted. Here are my requirements:
>
> Free (as in beer)
> Tape catalogs
> Network backups
> backup verification.
>
> Well, BRU that I have does verification and is free, but it does not keep a
> catalog nor allow me to back up a networked machine since it is the freebie
> version. Taper is free but it pretty much stinks and it barfs on me if
> things get too big. Kdat does everything but verify, Lone Tar and Pro
> Backup are not free, but they do catalogs, network backups, and
> verification.
>
> My question: Is there such an animal that does all of the above?
You might want to truck over to knox-software.com (if I've spelled and
hyphenated correctly) to take a look at Arkia...
Dustin

"We should not be building surveillance technology into [Internet] standards.
Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.  Where it is easy, it's called
a police state."
			                             -- Jeff Schiller, IETF