e-mail spam on the kclug mailing list

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Thu Mar 30 16:06:44 CST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, mike neuliep wrote:

> Hal, we had originally set the list up so you could e-mail to it
> without being a member.  If spam is becoming a problem, I can probably
> make it check first to make sure you're on the list.  If you're not on
> the list, I can forward it to a moderator.  Comments?

Doesn't work in practice.  Tried it on KULUA for a while.  Many, _many_
people send mail from a different account than the receive it to.

Wear asbestos if you try it.

To be honest, you wouldn't have _any_ of the problems that you are having
now if you had just taken my advice and changed your contact address from
kclug at kclug.org to something else, like kclug-info at kclug.org.

The spammers got this address from the various LUG registries.  How do I
know?  kulua at kulua.org has received the same emails as kclug at kclug.org,
it's just that I knew this would happen and I made the contact address an
alias to my account, and not had it be the discussion list.

J.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer            | "If Raymond is Pepsi, with          |
| Sprint - Systems Management   |  fashionable marketing, Stallman is |
o-------------------------------|  the original Coke, and the choice  |
                                |  of a Gnu generation..."            |
                                |  -- Lloyd Wood, on ESR and RMS      |