Meeting topic - security test

M. Osten mosten at topekafoundry.com
Thu Mar 23 17:49:07 CST 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Rocky McGaugh wrote:

> yes, i think this is a very good idea.
>
> Frank mentioned scanning yourself, but i argue that usually, ipchains
> will specify an interface to apply the rules to, so you'd need a scan
> from an external source anyway. Some people dont have a shell on a
> remote machine.

huh?  so you saying that if you use nmap on your machine you'll get
diffrent results because of local ipchains rules? I don't think
so.

my 2 cents on this issue, if your too dumb to figure out what services
your running, and how they are configured, no webpage scanner is going to
help you fix your problem. And broadcasting your security weakness's on a
public list borders on stupidity.  But hey, if you want to post your ip
and the results of a portscan, I'd be glad to pass the info on to
alt.scriptkiddie.

--
------
Michael Osten