Meeting topic - security test

Rocky McGaugh rmcgaugh at atipa.com
Thu Mar 23 20:06:05 CST 2000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, M. Osten wrote:

> huh?  so you saying that if you use nmap on your machine you'll get
> diffrent results because of local ipchains rules? I don't think
> so.
>
> my 2 cents on this issue, if your too dumb to figure out what services
> your running, and how they are configured, no webpage scanner is going to
> help you fix your problem. And broadcasting your security weakness's on a
> public list borders on stupidity.  But hey, if you want to post your ip
> and the results of a portscan, I'd be glad to pass the info on to
> alt.scriptkiddie.

so you're gonna drop lo to ensure that the packets come in on the
correct interface when you nmap yoruself?

i dont know about you, but i dont allow packets from private class
IP's to come in through my external interfaces. i allow very, very
few things in through eth0, nor will i allow very much out.

i see no easy way, except from an outside source, to accurately predict
what can and cannot get through.

anyway.

--
Rocky McGaugh                                      Atipa Linux Solutions
Product Development                                        www.atipa.com