Small Server/Spare gear...(SB Live Value)

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Sat Mar 18 10:41:50 CST 2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, steve doerr wrote:

> > I'm going to cry bullsh*t on this one...  I have an ISA AWE64, and I use
> > RedHat 6.1.  It's really as simple as logging in as root, and running
> > 'sndconfig'.  Seconds later, Mr. Torvalds will explain to you how he
> > pronounces Linux, and you will then hear a midi sample.  Done.

Much like Adaptec, Creative uses a single name to describe a vast array of
products.  A Creative Labs ISA "AWE64" can be one of about a _dozen_
different cards, with different chipsets.  Remember, this card was
produced for about four _years_.  Do you think they were selling the same
card with the same chips for four _years_?  Nope.  The same goes for the
Soundblaster 16, Soundblaster AWE32, and now the Soundblaster Live!.

It's better to not think of the brand name as a version, and instead think
of it like a model of car.  Now you and I would never think that a door
handle on a '65 Mustang is the same as the door handle on a '96 Mustang.
They may both be made by Ford, they both may have "Mustang" on them, but
they are different cars.

Enjoy.
J.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "Software is something like a machine,    |
| Network Systems Management |  and something like mathematics, and      |
| Sprint Communications      |  something like language, and something   |
o----------------------------|  like thought, and art, and information"  |
                             |  -- Bruce Sterling                        |
                             |  _The Hacker Crackdown_                   |