Small Server/Spare gear...(SB Live Value)

steve doerr sdoerr at qni.com
Fri Mar 17 03:19:46 CST 2000

"Dustin J. Decker" wrote:

> I'm going to cry bullsh*t on this one...  I have an ISA AWE64, and I use
> RedHat 6.1.  It's really as simple as logging in as root, and running
> 'sndconfig'.  Seconds later, Mr. Torvalds will explain to you how he
> pronounces Linux, and you will then hear a midi sample.  Done.

Ouch, that was harsh :-).  RedHat 6.1 uses a 2.2.12-20 kernel, and I had a hell of
a time with this card on kernels 2.2.0 or before.  I bought the card thinking, "a
real sound blaster - no problem", but I was wrong.  The following URLs explain the
process in excruciating detail for anyone trying to do a SB awe series on an older
kernel.  I didn't know about the Live card, but my experience with the awe made me
want to throw out a warning.

http://www-jcr.lmh.ox.ac.uk/~pnp/
http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/
http://bahamut.mm.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~iwai/awedrv/awedrv-faq.html