Other annoyance . . . installing LICQ

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Mar 17 03:09:22 CST 2000

Ok -- I thought I was getting the hang of this . . but it's terribly annoying.
I was going to install LICQ.  I downloaded it a while back and got nowhere.  I
decided to go about it this time and I got quite a bit futher.  It started
squawking about the QT??? something or other part.  I managed to get to the RPM
site and figured out what to get and after a few attempts (accidently got the
source files instead . . . that type of thing) I managed to get past that
message.  Then it came up looking for ncurses.so.5 I think???   I decided to
try the same plan of attack but wihen I install the RPM for Ncurses 5.??? it
complains that it doesn't have Ncurses.   What ???  The error message looks
like it was rooted in the 4.2 build ???   I tried installing that one and
didn't get any further.

This can be a huge source of frustration.   I liken these things to the DLL
files on a Windows machine. Fortunately they're usually all in one big package
with no user intervention.   Can you imagine sending a Windows newbie out to
find their own DLL files?   That's about what I'm faced with here.   Thankfully
both the VMWare packages and Star Office packages did their own things and
worked flawlessly.  (Although I have to kill VMWare . . . no serial number any
more . . . past my evaluation period . . . any hints?)

Anyway . . . that's my rants for now.  Again . . . all on my Linux box . . .
and this time I'm not listed as root at linuxbox.   Ugh.   Sorry about that one.

-- Bradley Miller