Test from my Linux box . . . .

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Sat Mar 18 11:45:37 CST 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Randy Rathbun wrote:

> Check your protocols... NT likes to use netbios while Win9x likes to
> use netbeui. Make them both use the same protocol and you will be in
> bidness (as you can probably tell, I have to deal with this problem a
> lot!)  Be sure to send them over TCP/IP so that Samba can see them.

Okies, this is a FAQ, but worth restating -- NETBEUI is a _protocol_, much
like TCP/IP and IPX/SPX.  NetBIOS is a _programming interface_.  In
Windows, there are NetBIOS interfaces for NETBEUI, TCP/IP, and IPX/SPX.

SMB uses the NetBIOS interface.  In Windows, you can use SMB over TCP/IP,
NETBEUI, or IPX/SPX.  In Linux, Samba only communicates using NetBIOS over
TCP/IP.  The other protocols suck anyway, so it's no big loss.

Enjoy.
J.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "We should not be building surveillance   |
| Network Systems Management |  technology into [Internet] standards.    |
| Sprint Communications      |  Law enforcement was not supposed to be   |
o----------------------------|  easy.  Where it is easy, it's called a   |
                             |  police state."                           |
                             |  -- Jeff Schiller, IETF                   |