PHP install -- web hosting recommendations

Jizzbug [d.m] jizzbug at hackunix.org
Mon Nov 8 22:36:19 CST 1999

> My first question is -- who has installed PHP and has a good set of
> directions to do it?   I installed RH 6.1 as a server the first time, but
> wanted to experiment with KDE.  I wiped that install and figured I could
> add Apache/PHP/mySQL at a later date.   Now I'm ready to put those back,
> but I can't find a RPM of PHP.   I'm not quite sure of how to install or
> even get PHP from another souce and "make" it.    Ugh!

The RPMs for PHP3 is php-*.rpm. There's about 5 seperate PHP3 RPMs
depending on what components you want to install. The PHP/FI (PHP2) RPM is
phpfi-*.rpm. Just 'rpm -ivh' those RPMs to get it going. You'll of course
have to have Apache installed first and stuff like that.

The RPMs should take care of setting up Apache's config files, but if they
don't you'll need to add the following lines to your
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file:

LoadModule php3_module          modules/libphp3.so
AddModule mod_php3.c

AddType application/x-httpd-php3 .php3
AddType application/x-httpd-php3-source .phps

> 2nd question: Does anyone have any recommendations on web hosting here in
> KC?   I'm curious, I'd like to experiment on my home network and then put
> up some pages on a server to hit from the net.

I work for Grapevine.net Internet Solutions. We've got pretty good virtual
hosting solutions at resonable rates. And we're the largest ISP in the KC
area... For some reason people sleep better at night know that their site
is hosted by the "biggest and baddest," but it doesn't really matter.

Okay, I think that's it.

G'night,

#include <stdio.h>
main() {
  char name[] =  "Jizzbug [Derek Paul Moore]",
       email[] = "jizzbug [at] hackunix [dot] org",
       line1[] = "Never sleep while swimming.",
       line2[] = "I started with nothing & I still have most of it left.";
  printf("%sn%sn%sn%sn", name, email, line1, line2);
 }