Continuous speech recognition

Blackburn, Chris X [Ecco Select] Chris.X.Blackburn at mail.sprint.com
Fri Feb 27 16:05:26 CST 2004

See
http://www.misterhouse.com/install.html#unix%20step%203,%20download%20an
d%20install%20a%20speech%20engines

Chris Blackburn

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-kclug at kclug.org [mailto:owner-kclug at kclug.org] On Behalf Of
Brian Densmore
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 8:42 AM
To: john meeks; jeffslists; kclug at kclug.org
Subject: RE: Continuous speech recognition

Don't you mean Kurzweil? Kurzweil is the creator of Dragon Dictate. Does
he now have two applications? What about IBM's ViaVoice? When did M$
come out with a product of their own? How can they be considered a
leader in this? Kurzweil and IBM were in it years before M$. In some
cases decades! IBM has been in it for more than 30 years. SuSE used to
have IBM's ViaVoice for Linux (versions 7.1 to 8.something). Not sure if
you can still find it, but there used to be an RPM out there for it. You
can buy it from IBM but I'm not sure how. They did have free runtimes
for Educators and there is also an SDK out there (or there used to be).
But that was some time ago. Haven't heard much about it since 2002. I
believe XVoice used/uses the ViaVoice engine. Not sure if it includes
the engine. I may have a copy of the engine on CD or DVD at home. IBM
took down all the links to it some time back, but you may still be able
to buy it from them.

Here's a link to get one started to have a clue of what's out there and
how long it has been since there has been much activity.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/linux/speechrec.html