MoveOn's "Geek Organizer" Online Job Fair

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Fri Feb 27 04:34:49 CST 2004

   I thought you might be interested MoveOn's "Geek Organizer" Job Fair.

   Sorry about the off topic post, but I thought that some of you might
   consider this a good opportunity to use your geekness to work with a
   cause. Those who live off the right deep end, need not apply. Thanks,
   Jim

   Sincerely,

   Jim Herrmann
   kclug at itdepends.com

   If you've got the political and technical skills to be a Geek
   Organizer, [1]click here to take the test and join our online job
   fair.

   Organizations: If you need this kind of talent, [2]post your
   opportunity here.

   Dear MoveOn member,

   Are you an organization that's working to use technology the way
   MoveOn does, to help people connect and mobilize? Are you having
   trouble finding the right people to make it happen?

   Are you one of those people who could fill this need?

   Today is your opportunity to make the connection.

   Within our team, we've identified a crucial role we call
   (affectionately) the Geek Organizer. No, that's not an organizer of
   geeks. It's a person who combines the leadership and communication
   skills of a political organizer with the technical skills of a
   computer nerd. How rare are these people? We don't know. But we know
   they exist, because we've built our organization around them.

   At MoveOn.org, we need these people, right now. And we know that among
   our contacts are many progressive organizations that have a similar
   immediate need. We're betting that among our membership we have the
   talent we're looking for. So we'd like to invite you to join us in an
   experiment: A two-week campaign to identify Geek Organizers and match
   them to opportunities in the community. It's a virtual job fair.

   Week 1: Postings. For the coming week, we're inviting organizations
   and individuals to step up and identify themselves.

     Organizations: Geek Organizers Wanted. Organizations describe their
     opportunities by filling out a simple form. They'll post a job
     description and a synopsis of what their organization's about. No
     cost, no obligation. To post an opportunity for a Geek Organizer
     type, click here:

     [3]http://www.moveon.org/gojf/post_opportunity.html

     Individuals: Take the Geek Organizer self-test. If you have what it
     takes to be a Geek Organizer, why not raise your hand? (We'll
     respect the confidentiality of your job search by holding your
     contact information securely. No resumes at this stage - just a
     personal statement to show off your writing skills.) To take the
     Geek Organizer self-test and join the job fair, click here:

     [4]http://www.moveon.org/gojf/post_personal_profile.html

   We'll be taking sign-ups through Wednesday, March 3.

   Week 2: Introductions. We'll match talent to opportunities and
   facilitate anonymous contact through our web site. If you posted an
   opportunity or a personal profile, expect mail from us next week with
   a list of matches.

   We are just making introductions here, not pre-screening candidates.
   But we know there's a lot of talent out there, and we hope we can put
   some of it to work where it's needed most.

   We do ask you to [5]let us know if you hire anybody through this
   program. It'll encourage us to do it again.

What makes a Geek Organizer?

     * Leadership instincts. They know the levers to pull and the right
       time to do it. They know when 10 Letters to the Editor will turn
       the tide and when 1000 phone calls to a senator won't. It's
       political jujitsu.
     * Technology savvy. HTML, mass e-mail, and databases are the tools
       of the trade.
     * Communications skills. None of the above is useful if you can't
       craft a message that moves people to action.

   In our experience, this potential is often underutilized. Some are
   programmers by day and bloggers by night. Others work for a nonprofit,
   then get their technology release by running a family website. But
   when they can apply both halves of their brains to the same job, they
   can do extraordinary things.

Spread the word.

   If you know somebody who ought to be a Geek Organizer, or know an
   organization that needs one, forward this mail or invite them to the
   job fair through our web site:

     [6]http://www.moveon.org/gojf/spreadtheword.html

   Obviously, the more the merrier.

   Sincerely,

   - Wes Boyd, Joan Blades, and Jack Eastman
     MoveOn.org Geek Organizers.