Knoppix kernel question

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Feb 26 14:25:20 CST 2004

Well, I tried to test the module last night.  I now see why Knoppix dumped that kernel or the way
they compiled it.  Knoppix couldn't mount the USB memstick and neither could DamnSmall.  DamnSmall
locked up once after inserting the USB key and the second time said it was an invalid block device.
 A new version came out today so I will check that out, but I think it's still on the same kernel.

Flonix gave me trouble, but eventually mounted the USB memstick.  I was able to insmod the 8211.o
module, went through the wifi setup, got a blinky light on the card, but no connection.  I went
thru the netcard config which is supposed to cause a DHCP request, but no joy.  I guess wifi was
not meant to be for me on this setup.  I'll probably have to stick to Knoppix 3.3 and up.

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Kelsay" <> 02/25/04 01:06PM >>>
Aaaarrgghhh.  I have no hair left, I've pulled it all out.  Knoppix v3.1 is not as good for me as
v3.3.  I was unable to mount my USB memstick with the desktop icon or from the cmd line.  Said it
was an invalid block device.  I used the -t vfat option thusly:  "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/pen"
and I added the sudo to the beginning of the line, which you must do in Knoppix to issue root only
commands.  e.g. "sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/pen" will run the command as root.

Tonight I'll test the driver on the laptop in the other two distros.  This better work.