JavaScript in Mozilla not working right in M$ OS

Jared Smith jsmith at datacaptech.com
Fri Feb 20 20:52:25 CST 2004

> Maybe there is some plug-in that says
> "imitate stupid M$ JavaScript"?

M$ JScript, as they call it, is far from stupid. It's based on the code which Netscape developed,
and its MS-only extensions are a very intelligent approach to manipulating the HTML Document Object
Model. Mozilla has finally conceded that extensions like ".innerHTML" are a good idea, and now uses
them, even though They Aren't Part Of The Standard. Sometimes MS has really good ideas, and
although MSIE JScript is not as powerful as Mozilla JavaScript, it is in some ways very well
designed.

I program in JavaScript regularly, and it is my favorite language because of its intuitive,
powerful, and transparent access to the HTML Document Object Model, which is my favorite way of
presenting information.

Mozilla actually incorporates a much more powerful version of JavaScript than M$IE, because all
objects are extendable, whereas M$ locks some out. But even still, not all those objects have been
extended.

So, to answer your question "is there some plugin which will make Mozilla emulate MSIE JavaScript?"
The answer is not yet--some very good programmers are working on this, but it isn't a simple
push-button option for you yet.

What you're most likely encountering is a script which is poorly written--it works in MSIE, but
does not work in Mozilla because it uses something like ".innerHTML" and the programmer doesn't
care enough about you to extend his code into Mozilla. Writing letters to webmasters on this issue
DOES help.

-Jared