Serving X Windows over Dial-Up?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Feb 20 19:21:47 CST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:29:40 -0600 "Brian Kelsay" <BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov>
writes:
> It's basically the same as using VNC.  It's doable, but slow.

So VNC is M$-only?

> You don't get as many screen refreshes remotely as
> you get when you are in front of the PC monitor.   It
> helps to turn off stuff like sliding menus, shading of
> mouse pointers, background images, transparent
> windows.   When you use VNC, all that is turned
> off by default.  There is a checkbox to turn off the
> background image.  I don't know if X does this, but
> VNC only transmits the pixels that have changed
> since last refresh.  I'm much more familiar w/ VNC
> and MS terminal server than w/ remote X.  I have
> read that you can start a ssh session with a box, then
> remotely run X over that.

Well, the situation is a friend in the hospital, my laptop is a Pentium90
which can still do X on its own, but I was wondering about a remote X
setup to use the slightly faster home computer over a dial-up/RAS
connection.  Catching up with E-mail and a few web-based financial things
she'd like to do on her own.  There's phone services for some of it but
she's one of those do-it-yourself people.