Mobo recommendations

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Feb 18 16:51:25 CST 2004

Rusty wrote:
> It seems my system picked up some kind of a "bug" (despite my running
> AVG anti-virus program). In trying to rid myself of the problem (which
> had my system crashing at random) one of the things I did was to
> download an updated BIOS and flash it (which I have successfully done
> in the past). Now when I try to boot up, nothing happens. No post,
> nada, zip, zilch. Sooooo... I guess I've fried something beyond
> recovery. (If anyone has suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.)

Pull the BIOS chip and program it in a stand-alone programmer.  It's
pretty easy to program most of the common DIP and PLCC flash parts.

Alternately, some motherboard vendors are wise enough to prepare for a
failed BIOS upgrade, and provide a mechanism (typically something like a
specially formatted floppy) for recovery when the BIOS is kaput, so dig
through the docs for your particular board.

You can probably also return the board for warrenty work, if it's not
too old.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net