Slackware install question

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Feb 12 22:39:57 CST 2004

On Thursday, February 12, 2004 09:46 am, Steve King wrote:

> Trying to install Slackware to a laptop with an external CD-Rom Drive.
> Cd boots, and basic configuration goes fine. When I get to the part that
> asks about the source, it will not detect the cd / cd drive it just
> booted from, and will not continue the install. Any ideas.

The system can boot and read the boot portion of the CD through the BIOS (as a
floppy drive, in fact).  It probably isn't loading USB drivers though, so
you'll have to tell it to do so before you can mount the CD.  If it's a
parallel port drive, you need the SCSI parallel port drivers.

I'm not familiar with slackware, but can probably boot, load the drivers,
mount the drive, then continue with the install.  You might also be able to
pass the driver names and info required at the boot prompt, which should
enable you to just run a normal install.