OT] partialy I was wondering what suggestions for programi ng [x-adr

JARiley at dstsystems.com JARiley at dstsystems.com
Tue Feb 10 22:10:09 CST 2004

<<It is a common mistake that C corps, S corp, LLC, etc. shield
shareholders from liability. Unless you dot all your i's, cross all your
<<t's, and keep all your corporate papers and procedures correctly and up
to date, a decent lawyer has a good chance of penetrating <<the corporate
veil and going after you directly anyway. And believe me, there is a whole
lot more accounting and legal paper filing <<that goes along with such
corporations.
Incorporating isn't that hard and keeping your finances and documentation
separate from your personal matters isn't either.  Hmm, I have one bank
account for personal and one for business.  I have one filing cabinet for
personal and one for business.  Pretty easy.  Unless you form a
corporation and/or do business with gross negligence in mind (and it can
be proven), the corporate veil will not be pierced and you will personally
be protected.  Also, for small businesses, the S Corp is the best way to
go financially speaking.  This is due to the fact that you don't have to
pay self-employment taxes on your profit that you pass down to yourself.
You only have to pay it on the REASONABLE salary you give yourself as an
employee of your own corp., whereas an LLC pays self-employment tax
(15.3%) on all profit (up to the IRS limit of ~ $78,000), whether you call
it salary or profit.  Also, a C corp, goes through double taxation.
Anyway, check out pros and cons of different business entities and figure
out what's best for you, but don't shy away from incorporating because you
don't feel there really isn't any personal liability protection.