School using Linux

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Feb 10 19:12:40 CST 2004

You can buy the chips for your particular NIC, unless he is putting some custom stuff on the EPROM.
 I wonder if there is a way to have them all boot up shortly before everyone arrives in the morning
and put  a delay in the boot, so only ten or twenty boot at a time.  Will wake on Lan (magic
packet) allow this.  Say you create like a bootup script on the server, it send out the magic
packets by group, with delays to allow each group enough time to get going.

If he doesn't like Redhat/Fedora he could create a custom Debian image.  Maybe that could be next
years project.  Debian4Kids and Knoppix4Kids are out there.  I ran the Knoppix4Kids the other day
and thought it looked pretty good.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> 02/10/04 12:47PM >>>
One of my customers was asking about burning an eprom for a net card - I
asked him what he was up to and it turns out he is setting computers up
to boot off the net for an Oregon school system.

Just to get current with M$ for the current year was going to cost over
$20,000 so he is setting up a bunch of thin clients using this:

http://k12ltsp.org/

He says when everyone starts up at the same time the server boggs down a
bunch but once everyone is up he says it works fine. He is getting great
feedback from the administration.

He says it is based on Redhat and the latest is on the fedora core - He
wished it was based on debian.