Upgrading to KDE 3.2 on SuSE using YaST

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Feb 10 21:39:06 CST 2004

I though the rest of you might be interested in this, particularly since
there's a major glitch that seems to have hit a bunch of people.

First, find a source that has the "yast-source" directory in it.  I used:

ftp.oregonstate.edu, who has
"pub/suse/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.0/yast-source/"

You want to point to the folder that has the "media.1" folder directly under
it.

Becasue the mirrors are pretty heavily loaded, I mirrored the programs (not
the source) to a local folder.

Launch YaST, and choose Software/Change Source of Installation.  Click "Add"
and fill in the relevant information.  You may have to mess around with
whether to include the leading "pub", and whether to include a leading or
trailing slash.  What's above worked for me.  When you get it right, you
should see "adding installation source", which should take a while even for a
local mirror.  If you get "unable to create...", try again and mess with the
path a bit.  You should get errors within about thirty seconds, a successfull
add over FTP will take several minutes - like five or ten.

Once you've added your source, make sure your original install source is
enabled (and available).  Click close.  Now, from the YaST Control Center,
choose "System Update".  If you have good original and new sources, you
should see an "Installation Settings" page, one the most likely says
"requiers manual intervention" under "Packages".  This should be the only
item in red, otherwise something is not right.

You can accept the defaults here, or take some time customizing and trimming.
Once you're satisfied with the package selections, and have passed dependency
checks, you should be able to click Accpt, then Next.  One word of caution -
there are conflicts with upgrading kdebase.  You must upgrade this package,
so do whatever is required to fix this.  My first two systems both failed to
upgrade kdebase, but I was able to simply go back to the "Install and Remove
Software" application, search for "kdebase", and set the results to
"Upgrade" (lightning bolt icon).  I'm working on my third system now, and
I've been more careful resolving conflicts, but I've still had to go back and
update kdebase manually.  There's also something still off, because
KWeather's  "sun" is a green radio button.