dnsmasq vs. bind

Shayne Patton linuxh3d at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 20:06:49 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Friday 06 February 2004 10:25 pm, you wrote:
>

>>What I was referring to was an actual alternative
>>to BIND or Berkley's dns, or (4give the usage :-) ) windows dns.
>>http://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html &
>>http://freshmeat.net/projects/dnsmasq/?branch_id=1991&release_id=148819
>>

>I think I would describe that poorly-named project as more of a replacement
>for DHCPD that provides DNS as well.
>
>My DHCP configuration is static - the same address always goes to the same
>machine, so my named can be static too.  Certainly, if you're in a dynamic
>envronment this program would be great!

Johnathan,

This is roughly the same evaluation I made after looking at these
pages.  And I want to be able to use the dynamic environment that
dnsmasq makes possible.  So far it's worked great.  So far I've had it
on an 8 machine lan.
To the ipcop people, on the networks you actually run ipcop on, how
large is the client base of the  network you've actually used with
IPCOP.  The reason I ask, is on the pages (see links above) for the
dnsmasq project, it says it's for "small network" use.
Thank you for the responses, you all prompted me to re-look at IPCOP.
I'ts under consideration now..........

Unviersally,
Shayne