Java and browsers

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 15:41:46 CST 2004

Leo J Mauler wrote:

> Try the Hosts file:
> http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html

Used it before, need to update the PCs at home.  Thanks for the reminder
of the link.  My PC at work has a new image on it and I need to put this
stuff in there.

> It redirects ad links from ad servers to 127.0.0.1, blocking most popups
> and even ads located within webpages.  Drop its contents into /etc/hosts
> and view the Internet from a selective "don't view Ad images, view all
> other images" perspective.

Know how this works.

> These folks have been collecting spammer and ad server website addresses
> for years.  If you have HTML code in a page you are loading which is
> trying to load an ad from, say, "ads.doubleclick.net", your computer
> looks into your Hosts file first, /etc/hosts (C:WINDOWShosts), to find
> out the IP address of the domain name.

On winders 2000 and XP, it is in C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetchosts file.

> NOTE FOR USERS OF Yahoo! E-mail:  You will need to remove a few entries
> from the Hosts file, as Yahoo! has sneakily chosen to store some of its
> clickable images on its ad servers.  Some of your E-mail functions will
> be either unaccessible or difficult to access with some of the entries in
> the Hosts file uncommented.  This may or may not be true of other free
> web-based E-mail providers.

Not really sneaky, just smart.  I had to unblock all of the yahoo
servers I think to make the features I like work.  I don't mind Yahoo so
much as they provide a decent free service and I haven't seen the blinky
stuff there.  I'm not sure if the updated hosts file will block the
flash ads, but if they are located on the same ad servers then it makes
sense.  Since you can't see the address of the flash ads' server it's
hard to tell.  I'll have to experiment and report back.