Moving on to Debian from Redhat

Shayne Patton linuxh3d at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 21:38:14 CST 2004

Karl Schmidt wrote:

> Shayne Patton wrote:
>
>> Karl Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> I put up a page to help the transition from redhat to debian.
>>>
>>> Additions, suggestions - welcome.
>>>
>>> http://xtronics.com/reference/rpm2apt-dpkg.htm
>>

>> LONG LIVE SLACKWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-)
>

> It's all the same linux underneath <g>. I love the competition between
> distros as it is really making things get better fast.
>
> Tell me - how do you like the packaging system on slackware?

Yeah Yeah, same linux I know.  :-)  And I love them all.  I'm just
partial to slack because I like the packaging.  I started learning on
slack 7.1 and RH 6.0.  Slack worked, RH didn't.  Contrary to the input I
read about RH being what I should start w/ being a noob.  Without the
std pkg mgmt, I wouldn't have learned anything (same as ALOT of others)
about the mechanics of the os.  Plus the configuration is pretty easy
once you get used to it, especially using webmin (yes I cheat here).
I like debian alot, moreso than RH and I even like the rpm distro's.
Like you said, it's all linux underneath.  Slack consistantly benches
higher in almost all tests for speed though.  Stability, I think Slack
doesn't have anything on debian (stable and testing), but I do think
stability on RH is worse.  And I'd much rather use Slack's pkg mgmt than
rpm.  I do like debian's apt though.  In fact I use slapt-get on some
people's machines if they're noob's and have broadband.

Unviersally,
Shayne