Java and browsers

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Feb 7 04:50:32 CST 2004

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 21:52:23 -0600 Brian Kelsay <bkelsay at comcast.net>
writes:

> >> HTML.  That's all a real geek needs is HTML.
> >
> > "HTML. That's all a real geek needs is HTML."
> > Not that I disagree, but I'm curious why you
> > would make this statement with so many cool
> > languages (toys to be played with :-) ) around?
> > It's kinda like saying "16 bits is plenty" isn't it?
>
> Also funny considering he rails against HTML email. ;-)
> *ducks*
>
> I gotta say though, that in the last few days I've
> considered completely removing Flash and
> Shockwave from all but the kids computers.  I've
> run into some wholly obnoxious ads that can't be
> block or stopped from the most god-awful blinking.

Try the Hosts file:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html

It redirects ad links from ad servers to 127.0.0.1, blocking most popups
and even ads located within webpages.  Drop its contents into /etc/hosts
and view the Internet from a selective "don't view Ad images, view all
other images" perspective.

These folks have been collecting spammer and ad server website addresses
for years.  If you have HTML code in a page you are loading which is
trying to load an ad from, say, "ads.doubleclick.net", your computer
looks into your Hosts file first, /etc/hosts (C:WINDOWShosts), to find
out the IP address of the domain name.  If it finds that
"ads.doubleclick.net" is "127.0.0.1" from /etc/hosts, it won't find the
ad server and loads a broken image icon in a blank space on the page
(preserving formatting).  It doesn't ask your ISP's DNS for the IP
address, since it has already found one: 127.0.0.1.  It could even work
as Parental Controls for children who are reasonably unintelligent.  :)

NOTE FOR USERS OF Yahoo! E-mail:  You will need to remove a few entries
from the Hosts file, as Yahoo! has sneakily chosen to store some of its
clickable images on its ad servers.  Some of your E-mail functions will
be either unaccessible or difficult to access with some of the entries in
the Hosts file uncommented.  This may or may not be true of other free
web-based E-mail providers.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1.  There's no place like 127.0.0.1.

127.0.0.1 is where your heart is (literally).

> I thought for a minute someone went crazy w/
> the blink tag.  Don't these guys know that that
> blinking causes some people to go into seizures?
> For me it just gives headaches.

I agree, though I do like to view some websites, frequently of a
political nature (though none will be mentioned in this message to avoid
being hit in the head with a baseball bat) which have animations of a
humorous nature in them.  The Hosts file works wonders to allow me to
view these sites without viewing unwanted BLINKING Flash/Shockwave ads.