how to replace CDburner with DVDburner?

Shayne Patton linuxh3d at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 07:10:01 CST 2004

Jason Clinton wrote:

> chris wrote:
>
>> Of course, I have no /dev/pg*.  I unpulgged the drive and powered up,
>> let the "hardware detection" tell me it was gone, then powered off
>> and plugged it back in, and let "hardware detection" tell me it was
>> added, but no change in scanbus results.
>> Next step suggestion?
>

> Besides not using Mandrake (heh), you could try cdrecord dev=help and
> seeing what options are available. Then try some of those options like
> "cdrecord -scanbus dev=SCSI:"
>
> In the 2.4 Kernel series which you are using because it was included
> with Mandrake, CD recording is done through SCSI emulation. If
> something in the Mandrake hardware detect script is broken (likely),
> that may be turned off. If you're feeling up to it, I can explain how
> to fix it but its quite involved for a beginner and the intricate
> quirks of Mandrake may get in the way.

Forgot, also, you can check /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab.  There should be a
cdrom and then another entry for the same device.  This is going to be
the emulated (scsi) drive.  It's been awhile since Mandrake, but w/ a
dvd writer, you may actually have 2 additional drives.  Anyway, if you
don't then it's almost certain this is where the problem is.  If you do,
post the fstab and mtab, along w/ info about booting scsi emulation and
stuff.  We'll see what we can figure out.  May be something else, but
this is the best starting point I think.