gentoo go good

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Apr 30 05:04:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Eric Rossiter wrote:

> As a normal user, I can't start gdm or kdm, tells me only root wants to
> do that.  I tried the fix suggested in the gentoo forums to no avail.
> Any other ideas?

I would try to find out where permissions are denied.  If you start X with
"X", "xinit", or "startx" at the command line, does it still fail?  X is
the raw server with no applications and startx is a frontend for xinit.
xinit and startx run initialization scripts in your home directory to
create that desktop feel.  It might be a problem with X itself trying to
start, not gdm or kdm.

For the default display resolution, look to the Section "Screen" in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config file.  The first mode listed for your default color
depth is the default.  You can edit this around any order you prefer.

Most likely you can run a mail server without registering your own domain.
Chances are your dynamic address has some crazy name that you could use
for your email address (that will always change.)  But there are many free
domain services.  I use www.dynu.com and have been most pleased with the
options, such as using wildcard subdomains to track exactly where spam
comes from.

I haven't tried experimenting with many GUI applications yet.  I am still
searching for the perfect window manager.

--
Programming C shells by the sea shore since 1994.
http://dattaway.org