gentoo go good

cdowns cdowns at drippingdead.com
Wed Apr 30 05:02:27 CDT 2003

Eric,
    I know X will tweak if you dont have the Xwrapper packages
installed. The reason I say this is because a non root user will not be
able to use X. This is a very common issue on doing cvs-up on FreeBSD
and using XFree86-4.2.*.

    the startx package should be xinitrc or something, you cna make your
own if you had too.

    Something to look into.

    ~!>D

Eric Rossiter wrote:

>Hey everyone,
>
>Gentoo is slick, man... been slowly getting acclimated and I have a few
>questions, if I may.
>
>As a normal user, I can't start gdm or kdm, tells me only root wants to
>do that.  I tried the fix suggested in the gentoo forums to no avail.
>Any other ideas?
>
>Will I not be able to type "startx" or is there a hack that's necessary?
>
>When X fires up, it's way huge, but a few ctrl + alt + + or - puts
>things where I want them.  How can I fix that, i.e. set a default
>resolution?  I haven't searched for this one at all, so if you want to
>point to a URL as opposed to spoon'n, I'm all eyes.
>
>There's a couple more but they pertain to messages I see at boot and I
>haven't copied them down yet.
>
>I'm getting swamped with spam.  I don't have my own mail server.  Is
>there anything I can set up here at home to filter mail if I don't have
>a mail server?  (collect from discoverynet.com and send thru
>comcast.net) I was thinking of setting up postfix to grab my mail from
>discoverynet.com and filter it using spamassassin or some such... but
>the more I read about postfix, sendmail, etc... you have to have a
>fully-qualified domain name...
>
>So far I've emerged KDE and Gnome... I like KDE better... Evolution,
>Mozilla, vtund, lzo, (tunnel go good, over ssh, compressed btw...) gaim
>and probably a few others I've forgotten.  What other wonder apps/tools
>should I grab/does anyone recommend?
>
>Thanks for your time.

      Network Security Engineer
      http://www.angrypacket.com