gentoo go good

Joshua Bergland kclug at mrj412.com
Wed Apr 30 05:28:07 CDT 2003

gdm and kdm are the gnome and kde login managers ... they are usually
ran as root ... run 'rc-update add xdm default' if you want X at startup

in either case, you will need to edit the '/etc/rc.conf' file to set a
default xsession variable as the file documents, or set it per user in
the .bash_profile file to set which environment the startx command
starts up when you run it... this is also where you set which login
manger to use.

as far as the resolution issue goes... check the /etc/X11/XF86Config and
find the Screen section ... look for a section like:

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1600x1200/75Hz" "800x600" "1024x768" "1280x1024"
"640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
                Virtual 0 0
    EndSubsection

make sure the default resolution is the first one listed on that line
... also note the DefaultDepth option in that section

hope this helps... Gentoo is wonderful :-)

Josh