C. Steinkuehlers kernel pres this Sat at ILUG

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Apr 30 02:34:12 CDT 2003

Quoting Charles Steinkuehler <charles at steinkuehler.net>:

> NOTE:  Now would be a good time to speak up if there are any particular
> aspects of kernel building you'd like me to cover in detail!

Two things come to mind:

1) Dealing with modules, which have to match the kernel.  Do they
automatically get compiled at the same time?  How does keeping the modules in
sync with the kernel affect disk space/compile time requriements.

2) Compiling the kernel for system A, which is dead-dog slow, on system B,
which screams like a banshee.  Including modules.

One other modules thing: How do I tell what modules are loaded, even
occasionally, so I can compile just those modules into the kernel, and strip
everything else out; but never ever miss that once-a-month thing that loads
qwerty.o.