Qmail server move -- anyone want to assist?

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Mon Apr 28 16:17:35 CDT 2003

Bradley Miller wrote:
> Actually, I have all the mail files and just need the entire system brought
> up on my new server.  So far I've been thoroughly lost on what needs to go
> where and how everything is supposed to work.  I didn't install the last
> qmail system, so I'm flying by the seat of my pants . . . but I guess if
> everyone has plenty of work.  Oh well.

I can't take on any more work right now, and don't consider myself a
qmail expert, but I have installed qmail several times, and even have it
doing site-wide filtering with SpamAssassin!

If you're stuck on anything in particular, give a shout, and I (or maybe
one of the other folks here) can probably help.  I think there are
several others on-list who run qmail.

Basically, you just need to compile qmail and configure your system to
accept connection and run the appropriate qmail programs in response.
Exactly how you do this depends somewhat on your particular linux
install, and also on what you want to use to do this (ie inetd, xinetd,
tcpserver, etc).

Other than the basic build/install instructions that come with the qmail
binary, things you may want or need:

- ucspi-tcp (tcpserver for launching qmail-smtp)
- checkpassword (if you want to run the qmail pop server and
authenticate to the system user file in /etc/passwd)
- daemontools (to launch qmail background processes and keep them running)
- QMAILQUEUE patch and qmail-qfilter (if you want to filter system-wide
mail through something like SpamAssassin or a virus checker)...note you
can configure per-user filtering using .qmail files, by running
procmail, or probably about a thousand other methods that don't require
patching the qmail source.

Finally, you'll probably want to configure qmail to start automatically
when you reboot...details of doing this are distribution dependent, and
also depend on how you decide to launch the qmail processes (ie standard
init.d directories, or via daemontools).

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net