Qmail server move -- anyone want to assist?

cdowns cdowns at drippingdead.com
Mon Apr 28 16:46:16 CDT 2003

I have been running qmail for years in a production enviroment. I do run
the relay_ctrl patches to allow auth based relaying from remote
networks, instead of tcp.smtp editing which would become a pain with
lots of road warriors.

Here is the power howto I wrote for installation:

http://www.drippingdead.com/howto/bsdqmail

Relay Ctrl is here ->
http://untroubled.org/relay-ctrl/

Hope this helps.
~!>D

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Bradley Miller wrote:
>
>> Actually, I have all the mail files and just need the entire system
>> brought up on my new server.  So far I've been thoroughly lost on
>> what needs to go where and how everything is supposed to work.  I
>> didn't install the last qmail system, so I'm flying by the seat of my
>> pants . . . but I guess if everyone has plenty of work.  Oh well.
>

> I can't take on any more work right now, and don't consider myself a
> qmail expert, but I have installed qmail several times, and even have
> it doing site-wide filtering with SpamAssassin!
>
> If you're stuck on anything in particular, give a shout, and I (or
> maybe one of the other folks here) can probably help.  I think there
> are several others on-list who run qmail.
>
> Basically, you just need to compile qmail and configure your system to
> accept connection and run the appropriate qmail programs in response.
> Exactly how you do this depends somewhat on your particular linux
> install, and also on what you want to use to do this (ie inetd,
> xinetd, tcpserver, etc).
>
> Other than the basic build/install instructions that come with the
> qmail binary, things you may want or need:
>
> - ucspi-tcp (tcpserver for launching qmail-smtp)
> - checkpassword (if you want to run the qmail pop server and
> authenticate to the system user file in /etc/passwd)
> - daemontools (to launch qmail background processes and keep them
> running)
> - QMAILQUEUE patch and qmail-qfilter (if you want to filter
> system-wide mail through something like SpamAssassin or a virus
> checker)...note you can configure per-user filtering using .qmail
> files, by running procmail, or probably about a thousand other methods
> that don't require patching the qmail source.
>
> Finally, you'll probably want to configure qmail to start
> automatically when you reboot...details of doing this are distribution
> dependent, and also depend on how you decide to launch the qmail
> processes (ie standard init.d directories, or via daemontools).

      Network Security Engineer
      http://www.angrypacket.com
       Christopher M Downs,RHCE
     cdowns at bigunz.angrypacket.com