very strange DNS problem, making me lose mymind

Walker (Zachary) Tippit sternozw at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 21:38:27 CDT 2003

Does anyone know why I wouldn't be able to lookup a
hostname from any of my networks, but the rest of the
world can look it up just  fine?

The domain in question is nbbc.edu.  It can be looked
up from everywhere but my name servers, which seem to
be operating just peachy.

unsuccessful lookup:

[root at ns1 named]# host -v www.nbbc.edu
Trying null domain
Trying domain "mydomain"
rcode = 3 (Non-existent domain), ancount=0
Trying null domain
Host not found, try again.
[root at ns1 named]#

It works if I use their name server(by IP)

[root at ns1 named]# host -v www.nbbc.edu 207.250.169.11
Using domain server 207.250.169.11:
Trying null domain
rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=1
The following answer is not verified as authentic by
the server:
www.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A       207.250.169.8
For authoritative answers, see:
nbbc.edu        38400 IN        NS      ns2.nbbc.edu
nbbc.edu        38400 IN        NS      ns1.nbbc.edu
Additional information:
ns1.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A       207.250.169.11
ns1.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A
207.250.169.111
ns2.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A       207.250.169.12
ns2.nbbc.edu    38400 IN        A
207.250.169.112
[root at ns1 named]#

but not if I use their nameserver's name:
[root at ns1 named]# host -v www.nbbc.edu ns1.nbbc.edu
Error in looking up server name:
[root at ns1 named]#

However, it works from another machine on an entirely
different but similar network:
[root at mail named]# host www.nbbc.edu
www.nbbc.edu has address 207.250.169.8
[root at mail named]#

I'm using bind 8.3.1-REL ..
I just don't get it.. It's like my name server isn't
going through the lookup process correctly, but this
is the only domain affected.  ????????

Thanks all,
WT